Monday, August 30, 2010

Fall Food Ideas

I am already anticipating the many fun things fall brings, especially the foods of fall.   It will be so much fun to rake leaves with a 2 year old! I will save fall activity ideas for another post when the season approaches closer.

Here are foods I'm looking forward to making:

Beef and black bean chili with corn muffins
Everything Apples (pie, sauce, crisp, crumble, cobbler, cookies, etc)
Butternut squash soup
Sunday afternoon stew or "No Peak" stew
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and a green veggie or salad
Acorn squash with butter and brown sugar
Carrot cupcakes
Baked Homemade Mac and Cheese with that crispy bread crumb topping(add peas for some healthfulness)
Lasagna (I just made a meatless one with veggies.. so good and good for you!)
Chicken Corn Chowder
Chicken pot pie

I also look forward to making my husband's sauerkraut birthday cake in November. I found the recipe in an old school fundraiser cookbook for a local christian school. It must be from the seventies guessing from the artwork. I love cookbooks like that!  I might have to start a little collection of these old fundraiser cookbooks. Anyway, the sauerkraut chocolate cake is so moist and wonderful!  The only evidence of the sauerkraut in the cake is the bits of cabbage that actually look and feel like coconut in the cake.

Or perhaps I should try one of these cookbooks to find more fun cold weather recipes
















 














1 comment:

  1. So I can't help but comment on the acorn squash - one of my FAVORITE fall foods :) But you have GOT to try it, not just with butter and brown sugar, but also with raisins, apples, diced ham, pecans and a little nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. It is SO yummy!! :) Sometimes instead of brown sugar, I'll put maple syrup instead, or honey.

    ReplyDelete